Beat the House
|Installation Tips:||To Install: INSTALL.EXE
Default Install Directory:
To Re-run the Setup: INSTALL.EXE in 'BTH' directory (Do not have to reinstall)
1. Problem: Message: Insufficient free memory. Solution: Beat the House runs in the 640K standard region of memory. With DOS 6 or higher, run MEMMAKER. With PC DOS 6 or higher, run RAMBOOST. For lower versions of DOS, fax or mail us copies of your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. We will fax back changes you need to make to those files to optimize your DOS setup for your machine. Until there are 535k (550,000 bytes) of memory free, Beat the House will not run.
3. Problem: If Beat the House will not install 100%. Solution: If you have DOS 6 or higher, skip your configuration files. Restart your computer. Watch for the message Starting MS DOS. Immediately hit the F5 key. You will get the message MS-DOS is skipping your configuration. Now run Beat the House install again. If you have any other version of DOS, you can skip your configuration by booting from a floppy system disk with no AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS files.
4. Problem: Mouse does not work. Solution: This is usually a problem on Windows computers. Windows has its own mouse driver software. For the mouse to work in Beat the House, a DOS program, a DOS mouse driver must be running. To check this, exit Windows. At the C:\ prompt, type DOSSHELL and hit ENTER. Is your mouse working? If not, contact your computer supplier and have him help you install the mouse driver like Microsoft Mouse 8.2.
5. Problem: Copy Protection Questions. Solution: Please take the time to look in the manual when you answer the questions when you first enter the casino. If you do not answer the questions correctly, the bouncer will come and throw you out of the casino in 5 minutes! If you guess incorrectly too many times, you may have to answer several questions correctly in a row.
6. Problem: IBM PS/2 and PS/1 Users. Solution: If you experience lock-ups or hesitation when you run Beat the House, you will need to turn off the sound in Beat the House. From the C:\BTH prompt, type INSTALL, and select No Sound.
7. Problem: Sound Blaster 16 and Sound Blaster 16 ASP. Solution: Sound Blaster 16 does not support Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster Pro formats. To get both voices and music, you will need to choose the AdLib setting in Beat the House. NOTE: The game was designed for the older Adlib and original Sound Blaster 8-bit cards. If you are using Sound Blaster 16, it may require Port 220, IRQ 5, and DMA 1.
9. Problem: Receiving "TGIUL95.DRV error" or getting "Invalid Page Fault error". Solution: This error may be caused by the color palette settings for Windows 95. From the START button, go to SETTINGS, and select CONTROL PANEL. Double click the DISPLAY icon, and select the SETTINGS TAB. Look for the COLOR PALETTE setting, we need to have this set to 256 color. This will hopefully eliminate the errors you are experiencing with Beat the House.